Re: June 1, 2013 Reviews

On 2013-06-02 19:17, RsLittle wrote:
Fixing lens distortion is not something I do often as it changes the
Image cropping and I usually try to use the entire frame as in this
image.   When fixed the lower right person becomes cut off.  Which to me
is way worse then distortion.

Yes, sometimes even a "good" correction ends up not being worth it, because there are costs like losing edges somewhere.

While I learned this some back in college (shooting for the alumni publications office for the alumni magazine), I'm trying to remind myself to compose loosely. Cropping is one of the most powerful tools we have to improve photos -- and not all images I encounter in the wild are 2:3 aspect ratio :-). (In fact on my M43 camera I can choose the aspect ratio to shoot among square, 4:3, 2:3, and 9:16.) I find that the improvement from the *right* cropping is bigger than the less from an extra 15% or so enlargement.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info