Re: 5x4 neg scanning

On 4/30/2013 08:18, Jonathan Turner wrote:
Has anyone got any tips for a scanner which will do reasonable scans for
5x4?

I've been looking online at an Epson V700 which looks as though it ought
to do the job, but I'm a little unsure. It's been a while since I used
5x4, or scanned negs of this size, and I always assumed that you had to
use a drum scanner for this kind of thing, rather than a flatbed (which
is what this Epson one is).

At this point I just want something that will do an OK job, from which I
can make a selection of which negs to scan at a high quality, probably
at my local lab.

The V700 will be fine for that. I've got one, and I've done some 4x5 on it and some of them later at a lab on a top-line scanner. The V700 isn't a top-line scanner of course, but it's quite adequate for what you ask about.

Are they negatives or chromes?  Chromes challenge a scanner much more.

Frankly, an old Microtek Scanmaker 4 would be fine for the proofing function you describe. I've got one sitting around, with the film holders for it, the trouble is it needs a SCSI interface on a DB25 connector. Anybody around Minneapolis, or willing to pay shipping, want such a beast, though?