Re: 5x4 neg scanning

Emma flat bed scanners tend to have focus issues which is why the 750 epson is wet mount.   And I scan huge files all the time unless you want a 4x5 at 300dpi 360 being ideal for epsons.  I print feet some times and even to print a 16x20 from a 4x5 you need 360x4 dpi for optimal and yes I can tell the difference quality

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Emma ritson <miss_emma_jade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/30/2013 4:10 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 5x4 neg scanning

Seriously. Anything u get will be about 10 times better than the screen resolution of your monitor. The Epson is a capable and useful tool if you learn to use it. Most pro printers will need a maximum of 300 dpi. Online photo sharing and email will resize much less.  Honestly, Anything bigger or better quality in a scan is pretty much useless.  It's an argument that's endless, but 1200 dpi files are useless, require more touching up (dust hair scratches) and once on ur wall noone will ever know. Modern print software for large format printers will fill in any image so it looks fantastic. Having said that, flatbed scanners have advanced quite a way since tired old drum scanners ruled . Controversial?? Much. I get asked for drum scans occasionally and I usually ask why. Mostly it's an uninformed decision. They don't look any better on Facebook! Printing 40x48? Ur pushing the capability a of the negative anyway. Scan at 300dpi and blow it up 10 times. A printer will give u results that u will love, and he doesn't want or have time to process ur 30gb colossal file even if u can get it to him somehow. Mounting an exhibition? Get them wet printed , that's what folks want. Hope this helps. Film in this day and age is nice, and keep shooting. But don't get bogged down with quality. It's a waste of effort.
Emma
Silverfilmlab
Gold Coast qld au

Sent from my iPhone