The John W. Ploy III awards for April 13, 2013

>            Christopher Strevens - No rice pudding today..
The informal setting gives a familiar and candid look. The plastic cover (?) ads a subtle but interesting concentric effect. Its an odd subject, but it only makes the image stronger.

>            Yoram Gelman - Loo
Nice contrast wit a round shape over a square pattern. I like the description included, but I'm not sure if it reduces the environmental impact! Its interesting how a "tribute" can be done so well in a tilted-from-up angle (I would think of trying the reverse if I had to do it).

>            Alberto Tirado - Coricos

At leastI had the 10mm on this time, but my wife is located in the least favorable place!

>            Rene M Hales - Paris Windows
Strong lovely image. The scene makes me feel nostalgic and reminds me of the watercolors of a certain Russian artist that I like much.

>            Bob McCulloch - Sunrise at the Seawall

Very calm. Many people go for the bright sun, but I like sunrises and sunsets better this way, so the whole landscape contributes equally to the scene.

>            John Palcewski - Wood
I suppose the title makes me concentrate better on the quality (wood) instead of the condition (hole or scar). The fact that the image lets in some of the background, makes me think of a simple section of a tree.

>            Rob Talbot - Tank Battle
Good low-contrast representation of otherwise strong colors. Interesting form. I perceive what appears to be grain, which could be texture, but in any case it adds to the "feel". I keep thinking "River of blood", but it doesn't frighten me, nonetheless.

>            Andrew Davidhazy - Ceramics
Hypnotic and retro-style. Because of the slightly yellow tint, I first thought of ceramic/sand vases made in central and southern Mexico. Sometimes I work for a construction company and I am always looking for interesting images.

And the... *toc* Yo, is this thing on?
Ok.
And the John Willard Ploy III Award of Photographic Excellence goes to.... (drumroll)
Rob Talbot's "Tank Battle"!  (ker-splash!)
An interesting image that gives prolonged enjoyment and analysis, reflecting also a curious and imaginative eye.

The Committee wants to stress the fact that this week's decision was very hard, but there's no funding for up to four prizes.
Thank you all for raising the level!

Alberto Tirado