Re: Dick Avedon- was Re: brown skins

Thanks for that tip Jan. I'm very envious of your experience of meeting Mr Avedon!

--
Jonathan Turner, Photographer e: pictures@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx t: 07796 470573 w: www.jonathan-turner.com

On 22/03/2013 22:23, Jan Faul wrote:

One of my great learning experiences came about in the 1980’s after I’d been shooting more than a decade. I was at Fotocare in NYC in 1980. I was there to pick up a couple of 8x10’s for me and a fellow photographer in Copenhagen. In the used lens case was a 210 S-. While I was drooling on it, Dick sidled up beside me and said “Want to thumb wrestle for it?"
So we struck up a conversation and before long he was letting me have it doe to where I lived, as lightly used Super-Angulons never show up in a store in Copenhagen. I picked it up for what I recall was cheap, packed it up with the rest of my cameras and stuff and went over to Dick’s studio and watched him shoot a portrait. It was like a workshop for one in an afternoon. Although I already knew how to shoot and light a portrait, I got a crash course in Avedon lighting and the next morning went back to Fotocre to buy the biggest soff-box they had in stock. Getting it though DK customs nearly had to involve sex, lies, and videotape.
Any of you folks out there who want to shoot portraits, get the biggest soff-box you can carry and if you can find one, an Octo to go with it.
Jan