Re: DPI?

You are right and wrong in that they are using a page layout program that works in vectors until the file is ripped.  So if you dont match their inches the page layout program that does have any dpi it will place the file at the dimensions in its header data.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Alberto Tirado <fotodiseno2003@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/28/2012 8:44 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DPI?

> From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Easiest way is to work out what they are asking for and send it in the correct
> size *in pixels* - if they want a 8x10 at 600 ppi, then that's a 4800x6000
> pixel image,

You're Da Man!

That's the thing, exactly, and possibly my biggest pet peeve in all the world and its higher orbit.

When asking for a certain resolution, one should NECESSARILY ALSO ask for dimensions. A 600dpi image at 1 inch per side is ALSO a 300dpi image at 2 inches per side. Same thing!

So, maybe Marilyn could ask - because they seem oblivious that they should be asking this themselves - how many pixels along each side do they want. Then they can resolve or resolute the image at any size they want.

As a somewhat related anecdote, an important company opened a photo contest a while ago and they asked the photos to be sent somewhere along the lines of "1200 pixels long, 6 Megabytes JPG file". For the love of Ron, what do megabytes have to do with anything? I tried for weeks and couldn't ever match such a specification. I tried with very light and very dark images. I even considered photographing horrible things! (the uploading engine had a filter to check the file specs, sou you couldn't cheat).

So, resolution AND dimensions be together. There's no avoiding this.

Cheers!

Alberto Tirado