Re: DPI?

> From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Easiest way is to work out what they are asking for and send it in the correct
> size *in pixels* - if they want a 8x10 at 600 ppi, then that's a 4800x6000
> pixel image,

You're Da Man!

That's the thing, exactly, and possibly my biggest pet peeve in all the world and its higher orbit.

When asking for a certain resolution, one should NECESSARILY ALSO ask for dimensions. A 600dpi image at 1 inch per side is ALSO a 300dpi image at 2 inches per side. Same thing!

So, maybe Marilyn could ask - because they seem oblivious that they should be asking this themselves - how many pixels along each side do they want. Then they can resolve or resolute the image at any size they want.

As a somewhat related anecdote, an important company opened a photo contest a while ago and they asked the photos to be sent somewhere along the lines of "1200 pixels long, 6 Megabytes JPG file". For the love of Ron, what do megabytes have to do with anything? I tried for weeks and couldn't ever match such a specification. I tried with very light and very dark images. I even considered photographing horrible things! (the uploading engine had a filter to check the file specs, sou you couldn't cheat).

So, resolution AND dimensions be together. There's no avoiding this.

Cheers!

Alberto Tirado