Re: NY Post Runs Cover Photo of Man About to Die.

Title: Re: NY Post Runs Cover Photo of Man About to Die.
Your situation is entirely different.

As a medical photographer you were documenting individuals who were already receiving medical care and whose lives weren’t in any immediate danger, immediate being the keyword here.

I have no doubt that your work has helped those you documented with your photos and I applaud you for doing so.

Lea Murphy also reports a different situation. She stated that she first checked her son to make sure he was safe and then (and only then) had that gut instinct to take a photo of his arm. Her first reaction was to run to his aid in order to make sure he was safe. Once she realized that he had a fracture but his condition was not life threatening her reaction was to take a photo. I might have done the same to document the incident and perhaps even help the orthopedic surgeon evaluate the case (often times edema or swelling is so intense by the time the victim arrives at the hospital that orthopedic surgeons have difficulty ‘seeing’ exactly in what position the fractured segment is in case they decided to perform a ‘closed’ reduction of the fracture).

The situation at the platform was something altogether different. The individual was in immediate danger of loosing his life and in fact did. In situations like this one we must use different decision-making algorithms. I can see some people just ‘frozen’ and unable to react because they were caught by surprise with the type of incident they would never expect to witness. But for those who had time (and I am referring to all who had the time and not just the photographer) I think it would have been the right thing to do to at least attempt to help that man.

Joseph.