Re: NY Post Runs Cover Photo of Man About to Die

The question that pf members were asked was hypothetical, 'What would you do......in 10 secs?'
I guess within that specific time limit we might all be just considering our options.

In the present instance it appears from available reports that a fight developed from an argument between a man who might have been drunk and another man who showed some signs of having a psychological problem. The published photo shows other waiting passengers to be at some distance from the men who were heard to be arguing and seen to be fighting.  Is it reasonable to blame the other passengers for not intervening in the dispute?

The person who videoed the fracas did some good in making evidence available to the police on which the police based an appeal for further information from the public.

The photographer who may well not have been a professional journalist did what he presumably thought was for the best in the minute that elapsed while the victim was on the track.

Local circumstances may have impelled the editor of the paper to run the story to alert all subway users of a potential danger.

The remaining question is 'was there any purpose in selecting that particular photo?'  Would some other photo of the man himself have been more appropriate, or were there other photos of those who did try to help the man after the train had stopped.

Whilst it is appropriate to look at this incident from the viewpoint of a photo journalist, a TV viewer, or a newspaper reader, it is also important to recognise that the incident itself is tragic, and that it will have an immediate and direct effect on at least five  people, for whom we should have sympathy and compassion.

Michael in Norwich