Re: Mixing digital photography with analog photography

On 2012-09-24 12:21, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
It been reported that wide spaces like Procolor
have to worked in 16 bit to avoid banding. Don't know what happens when
the picture is converted to 8 bits for printing.

"Worked" is the key word there.

I find it VERY useful to use ProPhotoRGB, a very large space, as my working space. I convert into that space (and 48-bit color) in Adobe Raw Convertor, work the photo in that space in Photoshop, and am perfectly happy to represent the final result in 8-bit space (and send it to 8-bit printer drivers, the only kind I have).

It's like the way physical negatives could represent a lot larger brightness range than printing paper could; it was still useful, because in capturing the real world in a hurry it's hard to be precise, and because sometimes you have to work with a part of the real world that exceeds the capacity of the print. So you need the large capability in the capture and darkroom workflow, but the final result fits comfortably in 8 bits and smaller color-spaces.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info