Re: Mixing digital photography with analog photography

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Little" <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: Mixing digital photography with analog photography

Well then use a 16bit printer like say an epson r3800 or newer.   OR take
your file to a lab and have them make a dichromic print.   A raw camera
file is a larger color gamut them most film.   Its only when you use Jpeg
that they are shrunk down to sRGB or adobe rgb.     My Leaf backs in raw
camera space all have more GAMUT then film and I get a little more then 12
stops of exposure. So 6 stops of latitude. Thats 2 stops greater then any
chrome film made ever.   (neg films like ektar get about 15 stops)  but
guess what I can do?   I can do an hdri and then when properly and not
gimmicky put together gets nearly a 10000:1 ratio that instead of
compressing information like the zone system does actually has ALL that
information as detail this file is 32bit FLOATING POINT which means it has
instead of 256 or 65xxx  over a billion colors.

Randy S. Little

i found this interesting:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/hype-or-hero-take-2-16-bit-printers.html

especially " the 8 and 16 bit versions still looked a bit "different" with respect to slight color casts and certain colors, but one really didn't look "better" than the other to me. I attribute the minor differences in look/feel to the fact that the 8 bit and 16 bit drivers are two completely different drivers and may handle color just a bit differently"

funny .. I thought profiling was supposed to be the panacea to consistency