Re: Analog shmanalog

Rand rote:

I believe the term capture the moment predates Digital by a pretty long
time.    Its a bit OCD to be concerned about terms.   How many of you use
the term BOKEH.  Which in japanese literally means Soft Mentally AS IN
CRAZY.  The term used incorrectly in a pop photo article in 1998 but some
dude who wanted to coin a term.   Every time my japanese wife sees this she
giggles.  When you read a Camera doc that uses the work Bokeh in English
thats not the word used in the Japanese text.   CAUSE ITS MEANS CRAZY.

like that other cracker the digital world introduced us to, giclee - anyone here still use that one? always hated it myself. Terminology is important, the problem occurs when terms are mangled, manipulated or misunderstood imo ;)

capturing the moment as a term certainly predates capture and sounds a lot less manly than shoot the moment and mount it on the wall.

I prefer the latter