Re: Mum

Christopher Strevens
Dear Photo-forum members

Chris.

My belief tends toward maltheism.. and I read that the Jaina believe the universe is without end and godless. they also believe Man has the ability to achieve the Godhead themselves if they follow their own path in life. Effectively, like the philosophical question 'if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a noise?' these beliefs preclude there being any actual beauty in the universe and that it is US who's minds perceive (and thus create) the beauty.

You are a capable photographer, and even if as you claim you are of diminished capacity, you still have *some* capacity - that is evident in your writing and your images.

Might I suggest you use what you have to create the beauty you see missing in the world?

I have read grumpyoldsod.com and been shocked by a lot of what has transpired in Britain, and I know Australia is to my eye going from the Stupid Country to the Unbelievably Dim Country fast, however I read the account of a gentleman from elsewhere who sees Australia as heaven on earth. He came from a peasant villiage in war torn Vietnam and was recounting his experience the first time he encountered a traffic light pedestrian crossing.. "I pushed the buttoon and the cars just .. stopped!" In no time in his life had he ever had so much power in a fingertip..

you have in you with the technology at hand the ability to show the world the beautiful things you want them to see, and maybe in doing so you'll lift the spirits of someone else who is suffering. Maybe your mum would like to see this beauty you hold in your heart.