Re: PF members gallery on 08-18-12

You have to pardon me, but I learned pre-visualization from Ansel Adams. I never took a class in advertising photography and I’m sure if I had, nobody would have mentioned anything about pewvisualization. Most AD’s have never taken a course in perspective drawing. In case you’re wondering, I worked in advertising when AD’s had to draw on paper and did not just open the Black Book or other guide and clip out something to steal. I can’t tell you how many times I got a clip from a directory with the directive, “Copy this!” even though it was copyright infringement. Later when my work began being clipped out of directories to direct photographers, I had to sue a prospective client for infringement of my copyright.

Unbeknownst to you, I shot advertising photographs for 20 years, and I must have been pretty good to make the money I made as well as win a slew of awards. Do you need a client list? I got into the ASMP Hall of Fame in 1985, where the competition was stiff (45k entries) and there were only 102 winners. My image is at George Eastman House in their permanent collection. Go to GEH.org and do a search.

Previsualization is important in all photography, not just a photo studio where products are shot. It is, as Ansel said, what separates the big dogs from the little dogs. Here is a clip with Nancy Newhall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24SHtCHeTc

It is my opinion that camera clubs do little to teach their members how to become better photographers without resorting to contests and awards. Every time I speak to a camera club, I am always bemused as how little the award winners know about producing consistently powerful images.

JAn Faul