Re: Criminalizing Photography

Well, if you really want to be pessimistic (as I often am in these matters), you can think of the world as a ship. And while the ship is sinking, the rich passengers on the upper decks dance to the gaily playing orchestra. Some of these passengers know the ship is sinking, but they think it won't sink fast enough for them to feel the consequences.

The point is that as long as the laws we're talking about are, at best, local or state laws, and are interpreted locally, there can never be a concerted, coordinated movement that will be effective. The police know, of course, that the photographer has rights; but they also know that it's enough of a hassle to the photographer so there won't be any effective resistance.

My guess is that even Alberto may tire of vehement arguments over time. . . but maybe not and so spark something useful.

  -yoram