Re: PF members exhibit on 11 AUG 12

On Sat, August 11, 2012 8:27 am, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated August 11,
> 2012. Authors with work now on display at:
> http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:
>

> Elson T. Elizaga - Extraordinary Claims

Beautiful portrait. Since the text is so large, it is the subject, though.
This looks like a good commercial ad, but it detracts from the very nicely
lit portrait of the boy. I will say, however, that without the text, the
boy may very well look simply very unhappy, and not quizzical at all,
especially since it looks a bit wet under his left eye, as if he had
recently been crying.

> John Palcewski - Dogs

Well, Jan mentioned you like butts, and here's one, albeit on an amputee.
Without the title, the butt's the subject. However, with the title, it
becomes rather an amusing photograph, since the titular dogs are really
not interested in the photograph, and are themselves on their way out of
the frame.

> Scott Thurmond - Needs work

A good idea, but the composition is too static. Perhaps it would be
improved by black and white (or much more saturation, to draw attention to
the emblem still proudly sitting on a rather sad carcass), or maybe
slanted, or maybe off center, I'm not sure.

> Bob McCulloch - Daisies

Pretty flowers, shot with a wide aperture. It is simply a pretty picture,
and needs something more to be something more. A wider aperture (or longer
lens) to further blur the background and isolate the subject would help;
the background blur is distinct enough to be a bit distracting.

> Dan Mitchell - Cathedral

There's something HDR'ish about the photo, yet the windows in front are
totally blown out. The verticals are mostly vertical, and that's good, and
I'm wondering what's going on in front with a long line of folks in the
center and spectators on the side. A wedding? A funeral? A baptism? Seems
like a small affair, though, dwarfed by the number of empty seats. So the
question becomes, what is the subject? The tall arches are the most
distinct and easy to see, and look as though their exposure was adjusted
in post. So, that's the subject for me. If that was the intended subject,
that's good.

> Yoram Gelman - Bark Gargoyle

My favorite this week. This is something I would have photographed. It
might as well be in black and white, and perhaps should be, except... for
the green sprout growing out of his head. I like that, and would hate to
see it go. But perhaps in black and white, increasing the green in the
conversion process would turn the sprout white, making it more obvious.
Also, the circle of light at the top right is distracting and makes my eye
jump back and forth from the great face and the blurry light. You could
easily crop it off with no loss to the photograph. But these are nits; I
could be convinced that the light is the moon, and this fellow is a wood
gnome that only comes out in the moonlight.

Andrew

--
http://andrewsharpe.com