gallery review

My thoughts on what's showing at the gallery.

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated July 28, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

            Emily Ferguson - The Elizabeth Islands on a still day
I like the contrast of the weighty rocks at the base of the image against the thin dark lines (islands?) further out from shore and I like those dark areas contrasting with the bright white clouds. The ripples in the water against the cloud layers in the sky work well together. Nicely done.

            D.L. Shipman - D.
Interesting _expression_. Threatening and ominous. Great texture in the beard and jacket. It's harsher than I'd like it to be. Those eyes are haunting.

            John Palcewski - Piccola Roso
A lovely image of a rose never fails to gladden the photographer who captured it or the viewer who sees it. Nicely done.

            Lea Murphy - Edyn
Images like this make me glad to be a photographer.

            Rene M Hales - Looking Out/Looking In
Rene, I think another review said this was too busy and I agree. I would be interested in seeing what a bw conversion would do to this because I believe it would strengthen it.

            Yoram Gelman - Street Seller
Interesting face with wonderful lines that get lost in what look like blown highlight areas. If they could be tamed this image would be much stronger. I like the off-kilter brick wall behind her and the hat is wonderful.

            Christopher Strevens - she sleeps
Christopher you frequently make me scratch my head but this image and the text with it brought me to my knees. It's a beautiful capture of your mother…it appears almost hazy and gauzy. I'm not sure if that's by design or intentional but it works perfectly on this image. You mother is lucky to have you so present and caring in her life.

            Rand Flory - Classic Machu Picchu
You succeeded in making the classic image of a traveler's destination. Not having ever been there, the people on the left edge of the frame put things into perspective for me and gives a sense of size and grandeur. Nicely done.

            Bob McCulloch - Rehoboth Beach Scene
I really, really like this image a great deal. The way you've used the grasses as a blockade between you and the beach people adds a wonderful sense of voyeurism to the image. The tones add to the mystery I sense when I look at this image.

            Trevor Cunningham - dick dale
It's not easy to capture stage images without blowing something flat to white and you've done a nice job with this of keeping your highlights in check. The bright red in the upper left grabs my eye and for that reason I'd be interested in seeing this as a bw conversion which would focus more of the attention on the musician.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com