Re: More help needed for a technology challenged person

I was looking for a definitive comparison site re the phones but find them all a little -what.. biased ? incomplete? something like that..
http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-5-vs.-android-4.0-ice-cream-sandwich-vs.-windows-phone-7.5-mango-comparison/

My experience has only been with winmobile, though I've a few friends who've got iphones, and I've heard some of their grumbles and complaints. Generally though they seem happy to have an iphone and accept whatever limitations they experience or imagine they experience. (bills aside).

Win mobile is based on Windows CE which has been around since forever and is definately not as limited as they state in th above link. I know for a fact cloud backup is available for Win mobile, and while I don't know the precise OS they speak of above, I'd be amazed that the statement about the OS not being customizable were true given a plethora of skins available to change the appearance of every earlier incarnation of the OS, and the nuts and bolts nature of windows to change settings. And yes, I have a flashplayer so I know not what they talk of .

I hear Android has had some security issues, but phones are inherently insecure.. loose one once and you'll know what I mean, irrespective of the operating system.. There are some third party programs and Windows offers one free that allow you to locate lost phones or even lock them (or 'brick' them in iSpeak), and some can allow you to silently call your missing phone, have it report it's location to you via GPS AND let you listen to what is happening where the phone is located. Sounds like a plus until you realize that someone can install this by stealth and use it to spy on you. security.. hmmm.

Irrespective of all that, all modern phone hardware is good these days (exploding batteries or screens not withstanding) so you might find other features help make the decision. As has been mentioned, SD card support, gps modules, accelerometers, interface facilities such as standard earphones and USB, bluetooth, wifi, IR communications - not all phones have everything. Being able to 'backup' all your TV and AV remotes to your phone and use the phone to control all your appliances is pretty cool if the phone has IR capabilities (not to mention being able to take control over TVs in waiting rooms )

I love that I have a true Sirf GPS module in my particular htc, which means it's fully functional without psudo-gps network support - and having tried over a dozen GPS programs I'd highly recommend Igo over all the others, unless U-turns are something you enjoy. It's a lot more adaptive than any other and takes hints exremely well. Not a Big Name in the game here, I was kind of impressed to find a Hungarian program beat the stuffing out of programs specifically designed for my country. I found a freeware gps program for my travels in Laos too, windows /CE developers tend to write lots of software for obscure applications and Laos is off the map for all the big name gps mappers.

Integrated or sliding keyboards, clamshell, touchscreen only - different physical layouts suit different people, the rise of the touchscreen-only type phones has seen the other styles slide a bit but they still have their followers. If you find yourself typing lots on phones then keyboards can be handy - although some users find Swype and similar programs better.

Software wise, the SPB suite of programs are well coded and very usefull, specifically Traveller - a killer program which is now available for iPhones as well. well worth a look at if you travel and their source for weather data seems more accurate than some other sources.

I confess to not using my phone for entertainment purposes much, but the standard MP3 and video player programs have been handy on the odd occasion when I find myself locked in a cupboard and I don't use any e-reader functions, that's what the kindle is for. All phones seem capable of entertaining people, and yes, plenty of games there if you are into that.

On the whole everyone I know seems happy with their phones and will defend them furiously - that's a sign they're happy, right? Well, up until they scream and hurl them at a wall or start uttering dozens of reasons why their phone is no good, but this is usually just prior to purchasing the newest model.

I didn't mention blackberry as the only people I know who have them were forced to carry them by their employers and they always seem reluctant to be seen using one.