Re: New Monitor Selection Horror

Kostas,

From my looking around a while ago I found most, if not all, were the
widescren format these days. Popular for the public to see movies on, but not ideal for photography in portrait mode.

I purchased a 23" Toshiba, but my main criteria was to get one where I could rotate the screen to have a portrait mode. Great for looking at pictures, and also a large view of Word documents for editing. You can almost fit a full sheet of A3 (around 16.5 x 12inches) on the screen.

Mine is 1920x1280 pixels.

Good luck hunting.

Jim Thyer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kostas Papakotas" <clenchedteethphotography@xxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:51 PM
Subject: New Monitor Selection Horror

Greetings all!
Here comes the dreaded moment for me....Moving from the goodness of the CRT to a flat monitor. I have pushed the event as further as I could but now my LCD is showing signs of dying.

So...I need your help on selecting features and maybe brands/models so here is what I wish of it.

Size:
I need the monitor for browsing, MS Word and photography only. No gaming etc.
Am I right to stick with the 4:3 format? A web search gave me this.
* 19″ : 1280*1024 on 4:3 and 1440*900 on 16:10
* 20″ : 1600*1200 on 4:3 and 1680*1050 on 16:10
* 22″ : 1680*1050 on 16:10

Do I really need the 16:10 ratio?
Coming from a 21” CRT how would a 19” TFT would seem? I think small and short (not all enough).
What are the physical dimensions of the 19” 4:3 and 16:10 screen?

Adjustments:
I chose my CRT on the basis of being able to calibrate the RGB channels separately (at that era it was not a standard feature). How goes today? (Initially I will be calibrating with Adobe Gamma and latter I may borrow a spider)

General specs:
IS high contrast and response time that useful for my purposes?
What about color depth?

Viewing Angle:
Am I that scr***d with this? My experience with TFT monitors is that it is a matter of placing your screen right and then NOT moving your head.

Bying Options:
So far my good options are Philips, Samsung and Dell. I hate LG and Eizo is out of budget.
The rest in the Greek market are Viewsonics and other lower end brands.

Thanks for your time....Kostas