RE: PF members exhibit May 12, 2012

 >  I returned to the original image and saw that there the image had the full range of tones - 0,0,0 to 255,255,255 -

I did not mean to imply that all images must have a full range of tones. However, in this image the men appear to be wearing white shirts and their collars are in full sunlight. When I use a 3x3 sample with the eye dropper I get an average of 230, 230, 230 which seems a bit dark to me for a white object in direct sunlight. I don't like blown-out highlights but for a shot like this I would expect them.

I wanted to make sure it was not just viewing the image in my web browser that made it look flat to me so I opened the image in PS and created a curves layer then put a point midpoint on the curve and moved it sideways, the midtones of the image began to open up and in my opinion, the image began to come to life.

Greg