Re: PF exhibit site updated MAR-10-12

A big gallery this time.

On Sat, March 10, 2012 8:13 am, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated March 10, 2012.
> Authors with work now on display at:
> http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

> Bob McCulloch - Morning Ride

Nice perspective shot. If you straighten it, and possibly crop out the
distracting bag in the lower left corner, it might improve it.

> Bob Sull - Hot at work

Good abstract photo of fire and water. It's a little too tight of a crop
for a news photo though; I'd like to see what was burning.

> Jim Snarski - Perched

Beautiful little bird. I love the splayed legs. I think the focus is not
on the eyes, which is where these types of shots should be, but relying on
auto focus sometimes does quite get there, and at long telephoto lengths
the depth of field is limited. Good shot, though.

> John Palcewski - Vittoria

An interesting shot ruined for me by having an inane description. The shot
is good enough to carry itself; leave well enough alone.

> Ken Sinclair - When is supper?

Amusing. I assume it is supposed to look as though the dog is chewing on
its own arm, and it does. The back of the dog is rather blown out, though.

> Howard Leigh - Peter

A good portrait, with an unnecessary amount of backstory. Very grainy, but
Tri-X will do that. The hair on the temples looks a bit blown out, but it
cold be that his hair is just really white there.

> Sherie Taylor - The Wave

A propitious bird, making this a much better shot. It's too bad the bird
isn't in good focus, but it's good enough to make the the subject of the
photo, for me. The wave is not large enough or significant enough to make
it the subject, title notwithstanding. The horizon is straight (or nearly
so), though, and that's good.

> Don Roberts - Temple Detail

I wanted to like this, but the blown out wooden studs and face of the
lantern vie for my attention, and the tilt of the photograph just
distracts me too much. There isn't too much you can do about the tilt;
perspective is the problem, and it does look like you make the lantern the
only straight object, at everything else's detriment.

> Michael Hughes - Proud Father and Happy Daughter

Actually, this is pretty good. Her coy look really makes this for me. It's
a pretty tight crop and it looks to me just a bit tilted, so I assume that
if you tried to straighten it you'd lose too much of the people. It isn't
too much of a tilt, anyway, and possibly just my eyes.

> Christopher Strevens - Just Sitting

It's a very close portrait, and not completely in focus. It may be that
you were closer than the minimum focus distance for the particular focal
length you were using. Or perhaps the camera focused on her nose and not
her eyes. It is interesting that there is a type of portrait that is so
close, it makes one uneasy. This is one of those, for me.

Andrew
--
http://andrewsharpe.com