Making your own stand outs and gallery wraps

A recent email from MPix and the stand outs there got me thinking.  Anyone ever make their own standouts??  A keyhole bit for a router is relatively cheap, so making a place for it to hang wouldn't be a big deal.

There are a couple of options.  Wood which I could stain or paint, but it probably would be more expensive and take more time.  In some ways it would be easier for me though because I have the wood working skills.

What is the mount board called, is it foam or gator board???  Well honestly I am not sure how you cut that without crimping the edges.  Oh I could probably get a really fine tooth blade for the table saw and cut it the same way I would cut wood, but there probably is a better way.  The again maybe not.  I know there will need to be a keyhole in it somewhere.  The only way I would be able to do that is with woodworking tools.  Yeah I could just mount a wire, but that kind of defeats the purpose.  The edge is also an issue unless they make something like an edge tape that is a banding tape for plywood.  I just hope it sticks better than that edge banding I wind up with.

This can't be that hard.  It also might save some money, but maybe not.  Frames, at least good ones can be extremely expensive.  Sometimes you can catch a sale, but with my luck the ones you like are never in it.

I came up with an idea the other night about staining a piece of wood, gluing a print to it, the putting an acrylic finish over it.  Then you could drop it in the dunk tank and nothing would happen.  Trouble is you would need something to seal the print before you could put anything over the top.  If no sealer the ink from the print would blend with the top and you would have a perfectly sealed mess.  Ideas??

Finally anyone ever printed on canvas and stretched it over a canvas frame to make your own gallery wrap?  Hard to do?  Hard to deal with the edges?  Pointers  or websites you found helpful?

I think we all have images on hard drives that should be seen.  Just thinking of new ways to put mine in view.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark