RE: FD mount to digital

Adapters that let FD lenses work with EOS bodies are not that common but I have seen them out there.  I have an adapter that lets me use my old lenses from my Kiev 60/ Pentacon 6 type of mount with EOS bodies.  Had real pluses and minuses in that the lenses were huge and heavy.  The big plus was that I was only using the center of the lens.  At the time they had them for FD glass, and almost bought one.  Then I would have to explain why to the boss when I had no FD lenses at the time and still don't.  I got on the Canon bus just as EOS came out.

If you want to build, do so but if you just want to solve a problem, check ebay amazon and or other shopping sites out there.  They do exist.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: FD mount to digital
From: Andrew Davidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, January 04, 2012 8:34 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Karl,

I sympathize with your message and point of view and actions. I decided in a few instances to go the other route and that was to modify my FD lenses so they would fit on an EOS body. The breech lock mount FL and those lenses preceeding the ones where the rotating collar was discontinued are really not too hard to modify. I recently did that to a 19mm FL lens. I also modified a 135mm f2 lens and a 50mm f/1.4 (which I used to "learn" what was needed) - these two were difficult.

For the 19m I used a rear lens flange from a discarded EOS mount lens but I think an inexpensive adapter from India or China could have served equally well. Some enterprising machinist is turning out FD to EOS adapters that are about as thin as you can go. Used with a 400mm lens by itself it allows the lens to focus at a near distance of something like 40 feet if I recall. The adapter's thickness is maybe a millimetre.

The FL lens modification I have not yet written up but I have a basic illustration of what is involved.

http://davidhazy.org/andpph/text-figures/canon-19-EOS-assembly.jpg

The "only" problem is that the lens sits too far into the EOS 5D body and the mirror hits it - but using the 5D in "live view" mode the lens works fine. On the Digital Rebel there is not problem at all. Of course stop down automation is not available since the electronic commands don't actuate the mechanical lever of the lens. I suppose this is not solved going the the Sony route.

By the way, adapters to use Nikon and Olympus and I think even Pentax and T-mount lenses on the EOS line are available
These maintain infinity focus capability. I have them all!

Andy