Re: Lightroom back ups

Mark,

Just to be sure you understand (and you might but I want to be super sure) Lightroom is merely a catalog which tells itself where to go to find your images; they can be spread across as many drives as you like.

When you backup LR (upon exiting) you are backing up the catalog and it's keywords, file alterations done in the develop module, collections you've created, flags and ratings you given, etc. It is  NOT backing up your images.

So when I say I clone my drives twice daily I also have my LR catalogs backed up twice daily because they are on the same drives hosting my images.

I hope this will make it clearer:

Personal Drive Original: contains my actual personal digital files as well as my LR personal catalog
Personal Drive Clone

Work Drive Original: contains my actual work digital files as well as my LR work catalog
Work Drive Clone

Twice a day both original drives back up to the clone copy of itself so they are exact duplicates. Nothing else goes on any of these drives.

To properly back up you want to be duplicating your images as well as your catalog.

If, God help me, one of my original drives dies then I simply direct LR to open the duplicate catalog and I keep on trucking.

Lea