RE: Lightroom back ups

At 7:40 AM -0700 12/13/11, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Seems to me for it to be simpler to plug the external drive in a new computer, than to transfer that many files.

I've concluded that also. Which is why no full size image files live on my computer. However, because I use a MacBook Pro I do keep a mirror of the master files on my computer. This gives me a set of screen jpgs which I can show to prospective buyers or licensors when I'm not near my external drive.

Yes I back up the catalog, and you are right I need to put it in more than one place. To compound the problem, Lightroom lets you work with files that do not have the drive available via the preview it stores.

LR actually lets you work on the thumbs without demanding that you backup the work when you leave LR? That seems crazy to me.

Even after I figure this out, how can I tell it's working and not just altering a file that it thinks is on a hard drive that has gone to hard drive heaven?

Sorry, can't help you there. Is there a preference to specify that changes to remotely stored files must be backed up to the original file before quitting LR?

You did start using LR by setting up all your Preferences first, didn't you? (Always the first step with new applications.)
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx