RE: Lightroom back ups

Can I plug another drive into Lightroom, and will it find images in my catalog even if its NOT the same hard drive (which melted) where they were located in the first place or an exact copy of the original drive? The file names should match, that is unless lightroom changed them. Yet will LR find them?

Don't you point LR to the backup drive when you set the drive up? I assume you can simply point LR to the replacement drive.

I had a computer death and it did a job on my external drive as well, or maybe the external drive made the problem. Anyway it was expensive... But when I got the new computer and replacement external drive I was able to reconstruct it from the backup DVDs which I also make every time I have enough data.

I keep a folder on my desktop and drop everything into it until it's full enough to burn. Then I burn 2 copies and take one to remote storage. I use a databasing app called CDFinder to catalog each DVD as I make it and CDFinder allows me to search on the IPTC data in any file.

I only use my external drive for the quick access it gives me to my master files, but if I used LR it would then become my LR drive, the way yours is.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx