RE: Lightroom back ups

Not on a Mac, but PC is photo use only.  Images are on other drives, but they will not be the same drive that I use for my light room.  I am no fan of back up software.  I have had more problems with them than dealing with a drive crash manually.  The 1 T drive can be recreated, and soon there will be another drive that is as large that will closely mirror the first, but won't light room be looking for the original drive rather than the backup IF that primary drive suddenly melts???

Can I plug another drive into Lightroom, and will it find images in my catalog even if its NOT the same hard drive (which melted) where they were located in the first place or an exact copy of the original drive?  The file names should match, that is unless lightroom changed them.  Yet will LR find them?
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Lightroom back ups
From: Lea Murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, December 12, 2011 10:47 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark, I'm not at all clear on what you're talking about but you should seriously consider backup software that will clone the 1T drive at least daily.

You can create a backup of your catalog but if you lose your images due to a drive crash an empty catalog, keywords or not, won't be of much use.

When you exit LR it will ask if you want to back up. I'd say yes to that once or twice a week. Or more, depending on how much work you do.

If you're on a mac I recommend SuperDuper. Works like a charm.

Lea

the most wonderful things in life aren't things