Re: A question

On 12/1/11 11:29 AM, Bob wrote:
I think this is the best place to get an answer to a question that came up when a couple of us were chatting about cameras.

Given the same size sensor, the same lens, and the same processing which will give a better photo,
18 megapixels or 15 megapixels.  The 15 megapixels are larger while the 18 megapixels are smaller since the sensors are bothe the same size.

Well given those constraints, the answer is "Depends".

In theory, the larger photosites on the 15mp camera would allow for more ISO range on the sensor, naturally reducing noise and requiring less noise reduction.

But the tighter packed photosites are going to render more detail, though it may be noisy so at lower ISO's the higher MP count sensor should produce better results.

In fact there is some visual proof of this using the Nikon D3 and D3x family of cameras.

The D3 at 14MP had better noise response than the D3X at 24mp.  But frankly the end results became almost negligible at higher ISOs.  The 24mp camera produced slightly better results, but its almost double the resolution.  I would think in a 15 v 18 scenario that would be much closer.

--
Rob Miracle
Email:   rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx