From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gregory
Sent: 16 October 2011 04:05
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: PF members exhibit on OCT 15, 2011

It's been a long time since I've commented on the gallery's images. Usually,

I'm very hard with my critiques in that I don't simply look for the good and

it seemed to put members off. But for some reason, this week I want to make
few comments. So please, bear with me.

Most of the images this week; http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html ,
don't move me much at all, in that, there seems an overall lack of
inspiration.

One exception is Katherina's "Witch." The subject is interesting although I
can't remember ever seeing a witch with mascara. I thought witches were
inherently anti-social. Also, the composition is too straight forward for
may taste. Imagine this image from a different angle or especially if it
were thrown off balance a little and the model then looks at the viewer.

Sherries Image is quite problematic. The horizontals are way off, the light
pole in the front of the image should have given that away. With such a
creative composition, the light pole takes on an important role of providing

the foundation for controlling the image's perspective. Also, the foreground

is chopped off. There's no where for the viewer to stand. The choice of
Black and White was good, but where are the blacks? Blacks (for me) provide
a richness in the overall tonality of an image that greys and whites can not

convey.

Trevor Cunningham's image strikes me for it's simple study in shapes and
lines and it's stark minimalism. I wonder how this image would have worked
if the viewer was presented with a bold close up, or the spire jutting
straight through the frame with crackling detail? Also, the tones seem to
hover around muddled middle values, intentional??

Gregory