Re: Billboars and such - was Everybody Is A Photographer

Billboards are 8dpi. You don't need much filesize to meet that requirement. The 10D did just fine for banners and such.

But then, you're not in a gallery looking at a 40x60 print from 18". If you gotta do that, even in its day the 10D couldn't cut the mustard compared to Velvia 50.

Of course, for what Russ is doing, unless he has a big retrospective show in a gallery he'll probably never need to print a 40x60.

Realistically, one simply can't put off upgrading too long. Noise is a serious limiting factor with the 10D. Even my 7D is unacceptably noisy to me at ISO 400, but the poor 10D didn't cut it above 100ISO.

However, I do agree that it's not necessary even for most pros to always spend the bucks to get the most recent top-of-the-line.

Having sufficient RAM and processor speed is more important at this point.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx