Making money from photographers Ego ?

Hi

A few days ago I posted here a message about the Photo Contest industry.
It had no comments.
I'm still want to hear your thoughts about it.

I found that the organizers of:

LICC - London
PX3 - Paris
Lucie Awards - New York
And maybe more, have the same address:
550 North Larchmont Blvd., Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90004.

In this days they ask me high res file of my winning photo to put in a book.
I paid money for participating in the contest and now, after winning, I'll
have  to pay for the book that was made of my stuff.

All I got for my winning was some beautiful e-mail with a photo of a medal.
I feel like I was cheated.

Pini