RE: Katharina Kitaeva Chocolates

It is great to see an example of commercial photography on the forum.

My comments come from my experience as an advertising photographer and as a
(former) professor teaching commercial photography.

First: I have been aware of Katharina's photography on the forum and
admired. She is developing a certain stylistic approach which has a very
Russian flavor. That stylistic approach is missing here.

Second: Food photography is done differently in different parts of the world
but basic concepts are... basic. It should look appetizing.

Third: the bite. I think it is contemporary.

Fourth: The light is a problem. Most all food photography is lighted with
from the back with a diffuse light source and a significant fill in front or
on top. This makes the food look better, outlines shapes and creates
highlights on the edges of subjects not on the top. Go to an outdoor eating
event and you will find tables under a tent or other shelter. Eating in the
open in full sun is not pleasurable. We only do it if necessary. The light
here is creating highlights that obscure parts of the subject labels and
makes the packaging unattractive. The chocolate itself is treated
differently by the light since it is on a different angle. It does look
appetizing.

Fifth: Style again. In the US there are three major styles of food
photography. New York, Chicago and West Coast style. New York style looks
lived in. It feels real. In Chicago style the food is so perfect it is more
like a display than a meal. In West coast style the light is slightly less
diffuse, approaching sunlight, more reds and yellow colors and the food is
different. New York style is done primarily for magazine illustration,
Chicago style is done for clients. You see examples on product labels. West
coast style is primarily editorial.

Final comment: Several years ago I spent part of a sabbatical in Moscow as a
guest of the Russian Fine Art Photographer's Union. This was before there
was much done for advertising in Russia which was why I was invited, to
lecture on advertising as done here in USA. I had the opportunity to review
many of the members portfolios. The experience was wonderful in too many
ways to expand upon here.

If there are comments I would be happy to expand on what I've written.

JOHN
    jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See my Photography at http://www.retallackphotography.com