New Ipad owner

Well I have two issues with a brand new IPad.  I saw the camera
connection kit that you can buy for it, but there is always a catch.  I
wanted to use it as a light weight image back up.  Well the brain trust
at apple only made a port for an SD card and no way to get a compact
flash to get the images into the device.  It does have a US mini port
where the camera could do it, but that also means I am not taking more
photos while its doing it and its slow.  I am using a Canon 50D.

There must be a practical way to get images into the Ipad without
waiting on the camera download.

Also any suggestions on must have photo apps for the Ipad.  There has to
be a few apps for that.  I just fell off the hip train about a decade
ago and have no idea what they might be now.

I am probably the only person on the planet that hasn't played a single
game of Angry Birds.

Mark