Re: PF members exhibit on 04-30-11

On 2011-04-30 13:00, Trevor Cunningham wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet -
Nice! I've seen a Flikr collection of these type of images before. Would
very much like to know how you accomplished it.

That one is the third one I've made, all since Thursday. So there may well be more different approaches than I know about.

The classic way to do this is to start from a full-circle panorama. That's not what I'm doing, though.

I'm taking a partial panorama, resampling it into a square, turning it upside down, and applying the polar coordinates filter to it. This leaves a visible seam where the two ends are brought together, which I then manually retouch out. I also have to do some fill work on the corners, but that's usually simple (the seam is NOT always simple).

They tend to look better with a blue sky, but the sky wasn't blue where we were shooting on Thursday. Shooting with the horizon line lower than usual, and with a few interesting things sticking up severely above it, contributes to the effect; the one I put in the gallery this week is the most extreme case of that of the ones I've played with so far.

They're sometimes called "micro planets". Googling turned up multiple descriptions and videos of how to do it, if you want more detail than the above. I just learned the technique Thursday morning, in preparation for a photo expedition (I've seen several of these I liked recently, so I wanted to play with them myself).

I thought I sent it along as notes, but I seem not to have, so I should mention that that photo is of a sculpture called Johnny Appleseed by Mark di Suvero, and it's at the Franconia Sculpture Park in Franconia MN.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info