RE: bad media card reader?

Another thing you can try is to put another device in the port you think is bad.  It may be something that makes the connection between that specific reader and that specific port a problem, but will work fine with everything else.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: bad media card reader?
From: Lea Murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, April 05, 2011 11:46 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Great idea to blow things out Emily, thank you. I'll give it a try.

Yes, firewire 800. I bought it when I bought my 5DM2 because the other readers were so slooooooooooooow to download.

By the way, it's not the reader, it's the port. I put it in a new port and everything loaded up just fine time after time.

I'll give the canned air a try and see if that helps. If not, it's off to mac pro care I go.

Lea

On Apr 5, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:

> At 10:11 AM -0500 4/5/11, Lea Murphy wrote:
>> I have a pro grade Lexar firewire 800 media card reader that has, overnight, decided to become very spotty on reading media cards.
>
> Firewire 800? Interesting. I've never seen one of those, only Firewire 400, of which I have been using one for 7 years or so now.
>
>> Any suggestions on what else to try before I get a new one?
>
> Canned air, or at least a firm blow into all ports, including the card reader. Cat and dog hair can work wonders on such things.
>
> --
> Emily L. Ferguson
> mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 508-563-6822
> New England landscapes, wooden boats and races
> http://www.landsedgephoto.com
> Check out my Spring daily photograph project at:
> http://tinyurl.com/3a6m7g6
> And Summer:
> http://tinyurl.com/3a6m7g6
> Autumn now complete here: