bad media card reader?

I have a pro grade Lexar firewire 800 media card reader that has, overnight, decided to become very spotty on reading media cards.

I've tried several different cards of various capacities. Some read, some don't but no consistency on which ones do or don't so it's not the cards.

I've replaced the firewire cable and still get the same problem.

I've rebooted, same problem.

Do media card readers go bad? I had no idea.

Any suggestions on what else to try before I get a new one?

Thanks.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com