Telling what film came out of which camera

A friend of mine who returned safe and sound from Egypt after doing some free lance photography for a Cairo newspaper during a couple of demonstrations ... escorted by "minders") were discussing how to identify film (novel thought that!) that was exposed (or will be exposed) in one of two or more camera bodies. Assuming that later one would want to know this, for example, to detect a defect in a particular body later on.

Case in point, one of the MPs generated vertical and sometimes diagonal over-exposure "bands" on a couple rolls of film.

My suggestion was to file a small (very small) "notch" in the focal frame of the cameras all in different locations. I guess if one only has 2 camera bodies (like 2 Leica MPs) one would "notch" just one of them. Might a camera repair shop or Leica service do this? Have you heard of anyone doing something like this?? Is this "something" or "nothing"??

Commentary?

Andy from Rochester