RE: museum collections?

I really don't object to politics in art per sey, but I do have a problem with using tax dollars to do it (left or right).  No one should be taxed to advocate a position, especially one with which they do not agree.  Doesn't mean the work shouldn't exist.  On the contrary, sometimes its even more important.  Now what someone puts in their own gallery in their business is their choice.   Once public money is introduced, it should either be balanced or left out.

Anyone that's ever dealt with a rich lady in mink knows they are almost never a push over.  They just never hear a word that often a director must use with them.  How often do you really think they hear the word, "no"?  Probably far less than the most spoiled grandkid.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: museum collections?
From: lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, January 25, 2011 10:20 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

OK everybody run out and rent "The Art of the Steal" You want to know
about the good, the bad, and the ugly(rent that one too!) Its about the
Albert Barnes Collection - wicky that.

Mark you are only about half right - not bad for most of us! A friend of
mine, who was the director of a very good regional art museum, used to
rant about the rich ladies ( "in mink muffs") on the museum board.
Believe me, these were no Liberals. Conservatism isn't a characteristic
of most art - it wouldn't be good art if it didn't push against the
status quo. Anyhow, have a look at Futurist art to see conservative of
the nasty, mis-guided kind.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
http://www.panoramacamera.us