Re: museum collections?

My thoughts about this type of art is usually: given all the choices
available, why that artist, why that worn out, blownup snapshot
aesthetic? I've seen many shows in first-class museums just like it. I
seldom like the pictures, try as I might.  Blame the curators and
dealers (my turn to be cynical). Sofa or boardroom sizes display better
and can be priced higher. Egos in all quarters involved here. To be
fair, we can't ignore the effect on the viewer of the installation of
the art itself. Do you only watch DVD's at home or do you enjoy the big
screen?

I see far more contemporary paintings that I like than photographs of
similar subjects.
Large photos severely lack the material/craft quality of painting or
other art that I go to museums to see. In that respect they are all no
better than industrial displays. However intellectually appealing (MFA's
or PhD's in Sociology required here)the ideas they contain would do just
as well in a book. Modest reflections on contemporary culture don't
usually scale-up.  Sadly, perhaps, the pictures that will be most
interesting to us will be the out-takes which are but one dimension of
this type of art.

AZ

LOOKAROUND - Since 1978
http://www.panoramacamera.us