Re: museum collections?

Lea,
Art is confusing
Picasso was able to make a painting of one thing that brought another thing to mind in the viewer. His hard-lined cubist portraits, although they weren't likenesses in the conventional sense, still managed to capture aspects of the sitter's personality.

Ask yourself how you could make a photograph of something that would cast light on something unrelated. A picture of an apple that led you to better understand a man.

There's something ambiguous called "Gesture" which says that the image kinda sorta doesn't really say anything out loud but has a "Something" about it that challenges the viewer or opens a dialogue with the viewer... kinda like it waved at you when you walked past...

Note that art doesn't require any technical excellence... they don't need to be in focus or be well exposed etc. One must leave all that behind. Art Photographs" should not make you say "Nice lighting" or "Great detail" any more than great paintings are great because of the brush strokes.

Being a commercial photographer is a big minus if you want to enter the world of art.

You first need an artist statement and then you need an intellectual, socio-political, standpoint on which your work is based. How well the BODY of work meets the intentions of your artist's statement and how well they interpret the intellectual observations... AS A BODY of work (Maybe 40 to 60 images) will determine whether a museum/gallery will be interested. MAYBE

Art is only ART if somebody absolutely HATES it. Rather that approaching a photograph with a preconceived idea of what it SHOULD be, accept it for what it is and ask yourself what stories it brings to mind. How could you be in a conversation with it....

Mostly it's a matter of Bullshit-baffles-brains. If you really want to be in galleries you have to devote a good chunk of time working on stuff specifically for that purpose.
1. Find a museum you'd like to be in
2. Go to the parties that the "NEW MEDIA" buyer goes to.
3. Strike up a friendship and let her know you're deep and miserable about art and the status quo. 4. on the 3rd or 4th party let it slip that you're working on a project that screams on behalf of mother earth as she's raped by the corporate Poisoners. 5. Call her up at the office and ask if you can come round and show her some work. 6. Take all the frames that you threw in the garbage (The first 2 as you load a roll) and print them to 2x3 inches, Black and white SILVER prints mount them in 20" square mattes and submit them.
Buy wine and cheese
Herschel