Re: f number adjustment to increase light level

On 2011-01-22 15:37, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
And if they are in a course of study that is designed to prepare one to
design a lens, such math would be in my opinion justified.  At that
point it would be for an understanding of subject matter that would be
used whether directly or indirectly.  But if that is to teach a
photographer how to get an F stop to exact precision, I'd submit a light
meter would be a better subject.  They would need to know if they had to
design the light meter, but that's like saying a nurse and a doctor need
the same courses.

Most of the time, for most situations, you're right.

But what if you're hired to document scientific experiments that are expensive to carry out, and what you have are theoretical predictions of the amount of energy released? Then you need to calculate it, and you can't test it without great expense, that's what -- i.e. you need to know this. You don't need to have it at the front of your mind all the time, you don't even have to remember the details, but when the question comes up (as it will for some percentage) you have to know enough to figure it out or look it up.

I find that having a real understanding of what I'm doing makes me more confident manipulating the rules of thumb, too. That may be a personal quirk.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info