Subject: Re: f number adjustment to increase light level
From: ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, January 21, 2011 1:42 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I will admit that probably none of the students in my class will ever
need to figure out what the f number should be for an X factor increase
or decrease in illumination on a scene. Doing this little exercise is
one way to emphasize that solutions to seemingly insurmountable
questions are often possible and not everything is "rocket science". I
am fortunate that I don't have to teach "to the book". It would be great
if they could "write the book"!

OTOH not all answers are readily available. Interestingly whenever we
have a simple photo math problem or question the first thing they reach
for is a calculator. That is OK. But should they need a calculator to
add 17 and 14?? Education, especially university education, should open
the mind to dealing with unforeseen problems and situations. IMHO.

This reminds me of a situation where I was dealing with some government
air-to-air photographers and "explaining" how one would determine the
exposure time required to "stop" motion in certain situations. When I
was done, so to speak, one bloke piped up and said: "You know, all this
is fine but on the back of my camera I have pasted a chart that tells me
what shutter speed to use for a given air-to-air situation. I set my
shutter there and my photos always come out just right." To which I
replied that he was totally correct and I would do exactly what he had
done. In the heat of the moment it is not the time to start to fiddle
with numbers - use the chart, man!.

But who wrote the chart? Where did the numbers come from? It will be the
mark of an educated person the one who is not dependent on charts push
come to shove and is able to figure out answers on their own if needed.

So I do not disagree with you - there is room for all views I am sure.

Andy