Re: Sample exam for your amusement

On 2011-01-16 10:12, ADavidhazy wrote:
It is midterm exam time again and so if you'd like to see if you can
figure out answers to questions never before having beforehand heard the
answers (Reminiscent of Karnak the magnificent?) this link takes you to
a sample exam covering 5 weeks in which standards, shutter calibration,
velocity and rotation rate measurements, electronic flash concepts and
intro to time lapse and high speed imaging were discussed/covered.

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-exam-sample-high-speed-2010.html

Warning on question 1 -- "lines per second" means a CRT-based television display. At some point, maybe in the relatively near future, or maybe we're already there, that's not going to be the default that students understand for "TV set". Of course, since you presumably discussed it in the course, they should know what you mean; but some other way to refer to it may become necessary to keep things clear.

Question 17 -- It's independent of magnification within the constraint that the image captures show enough of the object to reliably determine its orientation; magnification doesn't *directly* impact the measurement the way it does for linear motion.

Question 33 -- #1 is "reliable" and #2 is "cheap", right?  :-)

I don't actually know the actual answers for this one. I imagine a high frame-capture rate is important on the list!

Once again I seem to understand all the terms, so I'm confident I could work out all the answers (except as noted for #33). I actually recognize the people's names and remember the things you ask about them without having to look them up.

Although I'd have to look up quite a bit for #38, since I don't believe I've EVER worked with foot-candles. I think there's a scale on one of my meters for them though, or at least a conversion table :-) . I'm guessing 6400 foot-candles is a value that produces convenient results.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info