Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:41 AM
Subject: Slide Duplicators

I have been unhappy with the quality of my scans from my flatbed, and don't use enough film to justify the expense for another dedicated film scanner these days.  Controlling the focus seems to be the issue and unlike my old film scanner, there is no way to adjust it.

Anyone still use the old slide duplicators to get old chromes digitized???  Would have to be much faster, and if I am using my dslr the quality should be near what I am able to produce with my digital body.  With the custom white balance, a lot of the old problems with light color temp disappear.

Anyone try this?  Any duplicators that are especially good and some I should stay away from??  The super expensive ones don't make any more sense than a film scanner.

Also anyone use one of the old copy stands with something like a light box??  Again white balance isn't the issue it once was as long as it's even, but very well might need some extension tubes to allow it to focus closer.  I have 28 80 2.8-4.0L and an 80 200 2.8L and that L glass has to be better than what you would get in a cheap duplicator, but may not be optimized for that type of work.  I have enough woodworking skills I could build a stand, and could use either a small strobe or make a light box to light the chromes.  Light box would have advantages with exposure, but I might be able to make a more even light using strobes.

With Live View, I can work tethered to the computer and have a 23 inch monitor and have far better control, but I could do that with either system.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Ideas??    Thanks in advance.

Mark