Re: Scanning/copying addenda

This is an important caveat.

The Nikon Pro scanners scan at 9000 DPI this means that a 35mm slide will yield an image in excess of 100 mega pixels.

Everything depends on what you want to do with the images.

Some cons:

1. Even modest modern scanners will give images better than 16 MP which requires "Only" a scan resolution of about 3000 PPI.

2. Medium format and 35mm slides shot like this will not precisely fill the frame of a DSLR so you'll be cropping and thus end up with less than your camera can offer at full-frame

3. Also know that film does not lie flat on a light table and there is no DOF at these magnifications so you will need to figure out how to solve that problem. For 35mm I suggest getting hold of a WESS film holder or even a wess pin register mount. For medium format you'll need to get some thin optical glass and keep it clean and static-free.

3. Bellows is the only way you'll get to the exact magnification you need if you don't have a real macro lens. (Absolutely forget about zoom lenses) Extension tubes can only get you close at best. You want space between the lens and the slide (A 50mm enlarging lens will give you about 3 inches from the front of the lens to the light table) so I suggest an 80mm or 105mm so you don't bump the lens when putting in a new slide.

I have done this with several hundred 4x5 trannies which are way better behaved than roll film and I used a colour-corrected circline fluorescent tube for illumination. I shot on a canon 10D with a 100mm macro lens on a wonderfully engineered camera stand. The results were fantastic ...About 4MP per image which were reproduced at actual size in a catalog.
Herschel