Re: Jan 1 2011 gallery Comments

I'm glad the year begins with a very good gallery! Hope it portends well.

On Jan 1, 2011, at 10:07 AM, ADavidhazy wrote:

        ~ H A P P Y   N E W    Y E A R  ! ~

        Christopher Strevens - The door and the teapot
Beautiful composition even without the heartfelt narrative. But I recognize the anguish too, having experienced it myself.

   Rob Miracle - A Kentucky Winter Wonderland
This is a terrific setting -- but it is marred greatly by the logo in the lower right corner. In fact, by my doing the usual personal cropping to remove it, I like the photo better by having the right edge just where the logo begins, showing only a little of the house on the right. Just my take. . .

        Pau Maynes - Madonna and Child with Saint Jean
This scene recalls to me Dorothea Lange's photo of the migrant mother (but without the migrant context), with her two children turned away from the camera to hide their faces. The simple composure of both faces, with the child looking away, is compelling. I can't judge if the classical painters had such composure in mind, but there is a connection in my mind. Nice.

        Thomas B. Barker - Hundreds of Mushrooms
As an old mushroom hunter (don't ask) I enjoy seeing this photo. Very much. As a photographer, too.

        Mark Harris - Snow Covered Branches
Nice shot but more contrast in the shade would help, I feel.

        John Palcewski - No Pain, No Gain
I'm not sure the runner feels the strain as pain. In some ways he looks as if he's enjoying it. The photo brings out the interplay between the two. And maybe the leash adds the last piece of interest by implying the running dog but not showing it.

   Rene M Hales - Trees in the trulli forest
I'm not sure of this. . .somewhat of a nice mood piece.

        Emily Ferguson - Christmas lights
Interesting, fun, and light.

        Don Roberts - Trunk and Leaves
I expect something much lighter in a Japanese style than the heavy trunk and rail. Maybe it's too close? -- so that they're too dominant? I understand the intent, though.

Again, a nice gallery.
  -yoram