Re: Comments on the first gallery of 2011

The Photoforum gallery is at http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Christopher Strevens -- The door and the teapot -- I like the composition a lot, and I like the light coming through the door illuminating her face (it to some extent argues against her interpretation of that outside as being dangerous).

I hope she can manage to adapt to where she is living, and become less fearful.

Thomas Barker -- Hundreds of Mushrooms -- I like this a lot. It's an impressive collection! I like the very low angle of view. In addition, there ends up being a visible color shift between the floor and the canopy, too.

Rob Miracle -- A Kentucky Winter Wonderland -- Nice use of the near fence rail. I wish it were a bit more distinguishable from the snow in the pasture, but it's clearly a lot better to have it there than not. Glad the horses don't seem more put-out at having their grass covered!

Pau Maynes -- Madonna and Child with Saint Jean (Agnès, Tomàs and Gaspard) -- A nice group portrait. I'll pass on the religious attachments; I'm probably missing most of what you want to convey there.

Mark Harris -- Snow Covered Branches -- Nice angle on them, and good handling of the exposure situation. The whole left edge being out of focus seems to me to be a problem for this picture.

John Palcewski -- No Pain, No Gain -- That's a slogan that gets people crippled and even killed. I do like the shot, though. He looks determined and not TOO pained. Print is oddly flat -- processing choices to try to deal with the brightness range, I suspect, are not quite working out. His t-shirt in his hand there is burned out and shows some artifacts I think.

Rene M Hales -- Trees in the trulli forest -- Panning vertically, I guess? This is a nice abstract of tones and lines. It's not the kind of shot I think of taking, and I do often dislike them, but this has both vertical and horizontal density variations that are somehow interesting, and a nice palette.

Emily Ferguson -- Christmas lights -- "Anybody ever spent time doing this seriously?" Christmas lights, photos of them, or photos with zooming? Not guilty on all charges, anyway, myself. Ctein has done a monograph of photos of Christmas lights, info at <http://ctein.com/Xmas_portfolio.htm>. In yours, I'm rather interested in how the zoom has largely caused the house to disappear, leaving only the lights (except the siding on both sides of the door). I haven't noticed that effect before. I've owned at least one zoom lens for 35 years now, I really should try moving the zoom control while the shutter is open sometime.

Don Roberts -- Trunk and Leaves -- Ah, Japan. They do know what to do in a garden. The density of red-orange foliage in the background is quite remarkable, and makes a great contrast (especially showing through the railing).

Yoram Gelman -- Garage Shadows II -- I'm not sure it works as well as a photo as it probably did in person. The fact that it looks so much like an actual silhouette, but isn't, is more striking when what it really is is directly in front of your eyes, I suspect.

Thanks to everybody who participates in the gallery this week!
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info