Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Question

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Marilyn:    I would agree that anyone connected with the Museum not be allowed to show any of their work in a juried (prize awarded) show. I have been one of the judges for other contests where awards are given to the winners. Even though the only thing we could discern, as far as who the contestant was, was that it was a female (voice) we selected as the winner the daughter of one of the lades that was active in the organization. Sure enough, the rumors surfaced that it was rigged.
    I would shy away from any, even the remotest, indication of any impropriety on the part of the judges or the organization. I like your work and I am sure you have had and will have many opportunities to show/sell your work. I just don't feel it is worth the possibility that the name of the Museum/Gallery may be tarnished. Everyone remembers the "bad" things but never the "good" things.

My two cents
Walter Mayes

Hello Everyone, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

I have a question I thought someone may be able to answer for me.  Iâve just been appointed to the commission for our Lancaster Museum and Art Gallery.  What is the protocol for someone in my position to enter work into shows at the art gallery now?  Should I not enter work in a juried art show?  Should I enter, but refuse any prizes I may be awarded?

This is all new to me and Iâm hoping I can get some suggestions and answers from some of you who are more experienced and knowledgeable.

Thank you in advance.

Marilyn

****
Have you ever wished you could tell your childhood self a thing or two about growing up?
Would the knowledge you know now have saved you from learning things the hard way?

It's Tough Growing Up: Children's Stories of Courage
Marilyn Dalrymple and Joan Foor
www.itstoughgrowingup.com