Re: Drive experiences

At 6:39 AM -0600 12/15/10, Don Roberts wrote:
Currently, a G4 Mac Mini running OS 10.4.11. Trying to decide future hardware route.

I just got a MacBook Pro on eBay for $650. 2.2.mHz, 120G HD, 2G RAM. FW 400, 800, 2USB ports, Ethernet, old style external video port. 2007 model.

Came with Leopard installed. The reseller was in Allston, a "suburb" of Boston. It arrived before they got to sending me the tracking code! Came with OS discs for Leopard and Tiger. But I had already upgraded my G4 Powerbook to Leopard.

I'm currently running my Time Machine drive on the FW 400, my external drive on the FW 800, have keyboard, printer, Wacom and trackball on USB, CF card reader (FW400) is daisy chained off my external drive. I run a 22" external monitor as well.

A few days of testing and everything seems to be running properly. It's not a particularly loaded Mac, no monster HD or blindingly fast processor. The improvement over the G4 is obvious. however, and maxing out the RAM would make another big step in improvement. I suspect I'll use this Mac for a year, maybe longer, before repeating the routine annual trip to eBay to see what's out there.

You might consider moving on from your Mini, especially if you have an acquaintance who might be delighted to take it off your hands. I have bought my last 4 Macs from eBay resellers and both my camera bodies as well.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx