RE: AdoramaPix?

On Tue, December 7, 2010 22:41, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well just a thought or two.  First with the discount places its catch as
> catch can there.  Most of the time it depends more on who happens to be
> running the equipment at any given moment.  That really wasn't that much
> different than the film days.  Once in a while you find someone at one of
> those places for a while that really knows what they are doing.  If so you
> might get great work at a bargain price.  More likely you will get just
> average work with good equipment.  Sometimes that's good enough and the
> price difference makes it worth while sometimes to see what you get.

Why would that be?  I'm not having their operator making any corrections,
just running my file into their printer.  If some operators don't do a
good job of maintenance, that would make a difference; but that's a matter
of bothering to do their job, rather than a matter of actual skill.

It would be interesting, if somewhat expensive, to get the same file
printed 10 times over 10 weeks, say, at different times of day, just to
see how much difference there is.  Wouldn't have to be a huge print to be
interesting, either.

> Now for the pros, you have another consideration and that's perception.

When that becomes an issue, I hope that the difference between $22 and $49
for a print will not be something I have to worry about.

I have actually used prints from WalMart and Target for client wedding
proofs, in particular.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info